Putting Wheels on an Old Chair
AbleData does not produce, distribute or sell any of the products listed on this website, but we provide you with information on how to contact manufacturers or distributors of these products. If you are interested in purchasing a product, you can find companies who sell it below.
Putting Wheels on an Old Chair is a do it yourself project designed for people with lower extremity disabilities to make a wheelchair out of an old armchair. From start to finish this project takes less than an hour. This project can also be used to put wheels on a chair that never had wheels.
Step One: Gather materials:
- Furniture dolly with caster wheels.
- 1/2 inch wooden dowel.
- Wood screws (just long enough to go through the dolly and not all the way through the chair leg).
- 1/2 inch drill bit
- Bit for the screws.
- Wood saw
Step Two: Prep.
- Remove the bottom from under the chair to make the next few tasks easier.
- There are holes where the old wheels were previously installed. Some of the holes still have bits if the broken the plastic hardware still glued inside. They need to be cleaned out.
Step Three: To clean out the holes drill it open with a ½-inch drill bit.
Step Three: Fill in the Hole.
- Take a ½-inch wooden dowel and cut it longer than the depth of the hole. You'll need one for each hole.
- Use pliers to press grooves into the side of the dowels. This will give the glue something to grip to when it cures.
- Squeeze a little glue into the holes and coat the side of the dowels.
- Press the dowels into the hole and give it a good whack with the mallet.
- Clean up the excess glue.
Step Four: Trim the Dowels.
- Take the wood saw and trim the dowels flush with the bottom of the legs.
- Lightly sand the area and to make sure the dowel is flat.
Step Five: Mark the Dolly.
- Flip the dolly upside and place the legs on top.
- Take a pencil and mark where the legs are going to be.
Step Six: Drill Some Screw.
- Partially drill screws where the legs were marked. Put two screws for each leg for durability.
- Flip the dolly back onto its wheels and place the legs on top.
- Carefully align them over where the screw is and screw the dolly tight into the legs.
Once done, place the wheels on the floor. Attached the top part of the chair.